Covid guidelines don’t stop the avid golfers!
Since the official reopening of the Club has been like a grand re-opening for golf. We have seen more members on the course than ever before. Yesterday afternoon, in somewhat foul weather, the range was full up (socially distanced, of course). Our regular play days, Wednesdays and Saturdays, are fully booked. The return of exercising during Stage 4 and then less restrictive in Stage 3, led to a new surge in walking, running and cycling. Speaking of cycling, the Golfie E-bike, made locally by Southbound Bikes, is a hit.
Winter Hours of operation
With the pressure of Covid and regs still in place, our hours of operation are still limited. To provide proper service options for all of you, please book in advance for the popular Curry Wednesdays and Fish Fridays. As the Clubhouse os open from 8-5, Tuesday through Friday, Wednesday Curries and available for takeaway in Jack’s Bar after golf or before 5. Fish Fridays, amazing breakfasts and lunches are now available in the Clubhouse – add a brilliant Cappuccino or Latte and all is good. Come- we miss you!
Our friends from Global Golf, suppliers of Cutter&Buck, AHEAD, Ernie Els, Rhode Island and others have sent their latest winters garments and we are prepared to offer specials from the start. In addition, the popular puffer jackets and vests have been reduced to go! Perfect for our cool morning and fresh winter days, take advantage of what’s on offer. Hey, shoes and eyewear are on sale, too!
The Search for Water
After nearly 3 weeks and numerous setbacks, the search for water to be used for potable consumption in the Village looks to have been successful. A second drilling operation will now take place near the existing Airfield 3 well (where a pump collapsed years ago). This well is located near the maintenance workshop on the Estate. Before restoring the area where the first well was drilled (on the 16th hole), tests will be done to measure the outflow and quality of the water found. To the neighbours in the area, we apologize for the extra time required and the inconvenience. Let’s hope the two wells will bring needed water solutions to the Bay. Note: The entire project was established and funded by government as part of the drought relief programme.
- Drilling at the first site is complete and the drilling contractor is busy removing his equipment and cleaning up the site.
- Final clearing of this site (which will include removal of the shade cloth screen) will be done once the test pumping has been done. The civil contractor will be doing this work. Our Environmental Control Officer will advise on what needs to be done to return the site to its original state.
- Test pumping will hopefully commence next week. The Contractor performing this work uses a diesel-driven pump and pumping will be done continuously over a period of 48 hours. The shade cloth screen must stay in place to screen the site while the crew remain on site. They use a small truck and LDV for transporting their equipment.
- Drilling at the 2nd site (which is not in close proximity to any residential areas) is about to commence. We anticipate a good water strike at this spot as the old borehole used to produce 4 l/s.
- The decision to equip the borehole at the first site will depend on (a) the yield test results and (b) the availability of funds.
- Equipping the borehole at the second site (if sufficient water is found) will make good economic sense at there will be no need to install connecting pipelines. Also, the existing electrical connection can be used.
Why haven’t you downloaded yet?
The introduction of the Clubmaster APP also has been well-received by the members, enabling them to see the tee sheet two weeks in advance. Where, in the past, it became a request and reply on What’s App, now you can create a Buddy Group on the APP for easy uploading or simply add your guests. You can now also book a cart (still singles only). If you are struggling with the APP of still need assistance with tee-times, the Golf Team is here for you. There will be a few growing pains, but soon it will make life easier on and off the course. (If you haven’t downloaded the APP, follow the easy steps shown later in the newsletter).
DOWNLOADING THE APP
a. For Android phones, go to the Google Play Store and search for the Clubmaster Member Portal app.
b. For Apple devices go to the App store and search for Clubmaster Member Portal app.
c. Click on the Install button
Note for those with Apple devices older than model 6, or if you don’t want the smart phone app, you can visit www.teesheet.co.za online and log in for the same online booking experience.
Once you have downloaded the app, follow these easy steps:
- Download Clubmaster Member Portal app
- Click on the 3 stripes top left
- Click on Get Password
- Select “St Francis Links”
- Enter your ID number. If you don’t have an ID number, you’ll need to contact Thinus and provide your passport number so that he can link it to your system profile.
- Once entered, you will receive a Clubmaster App password by e-mail and sms.
- Go back to the 3 stripes top left
- Click on Link your Club Portal
- Select St Francis Links from the drop down club list, enter your ID (or password) and your password which you received after step 6 above.
- Click on Register
If the information provided was correctly entered and matches the info in our system, your registration should be successful. If you have difficulty at all, let us know so we can provide assistance.
Farewells and Milestones
We are not saying good-bye to Denise Perry, even though she is moving to Durbs the end of the month. Instead, we’ll go with farewell for now, as we know she can’t stay away from here too long.
TK, TK, TK was the chant from the 17th last Wednesday as he achieved his first Hole-in-ONE milestone.
Golf – Tom Grimsley broke 40 for the 1st time with 39 on the front; Chris Roberts had his best 9-holes to date with 42 on the front nine! Pandy has his best (in a long time, he says) with nett 68 in the recent Comp. Vlam Michau has had three rounds in the 70’s – doubling the last all three times!
This week’s Birthdays –
5th Derek Wallace and Gerrit Van Zyl; 6th Boetie Zietzman, Grant Marais and Hein Sevenster; 10th Spike Spilkin; 11th Kevin Haswell, Wendy Higgins and Peter Koepke
Coming up –
12th Anton Gaylard, Bruce Dyke, Marthinus VD Merwe and Morne Geldenhuys; 13th Grant Comley, Louis Els and Sean Skelton
Please let us know when you hear about something special that we can share!
WE ARE COOKING and your favourites are back
Curry Wednesdays just got easier!
This year, we will be seeing more weddings, fewer golfing National events (due to rotation) and more member functions as our member play is the fastest-growing category in golf. We look forward to more sponsored days with ITEC and Selective Lighting/The Fire Works and the addition of a new partnership between Pam Golding Properties and Village Square SuperSpa
4-5 Jan The Pam Golding Annual, SFBGC Champions, Series tied 7 all
7-8 Jan Men’s Member-Member Partnership, Roger Smith and Charlie Gilmore, Champions
8 Jan ITEC Open Wednesday, Dr Danie Cronjé and Mel Maubec, winners on 51pts
18 Jan Windhoek Pairs qualifying, Geoff Garratt and Ernest Müller, winners on 49pts
29 Jan Pam Golding/ Village Square SuperSpar Alliance, Gill, Hool, Garratt and Wilson-Jones on 87pts
12 Feb ITEC Open Wednesday, Karl-Johann and Nyana Persson on 45pts
14 Feb Valentine’s Day Dress-up Golf; Dinner with entertainment, The Gobby’s 45pts
26 Feb Pam Golding/ Village Square SuperSpar Alliance, Coesens, White, Gobby and Spangenberg 91 pts
12 Mar ITEC Open Wednesday, TK and Percy Owen 51pts
22 Jul ITEC Open Wednesday
17-19 Jul Men’s Invitational (postponed)
26-27 Jul PGA Regional Finals (SFBGC and SFL) Canceled
29 Jul Pam Golding/Village Square SuperSpar Alliance
1-2 Aug EP Amateur Championships (course closed)
7 Aug Selective Lighting / The Fireworks – 15h00 shotgun
8-9 Aug EP Amateur Championships – Matchplay finals
4 Sep Selective Lighting / The Fireworks – 15h00 shotgun
9 Sep ITEC Open Wednesday
25-27 Sep LINKS CUP South Africa (Ryder Cup at Whistling Straights)
30 Sep Pam Golding/Village Square SuperSpar Alliance
2 Oct Selective Lighting / The Fireworks – 15h00 shotgun
3 Oct Stulting Golf Day
14 Oct ITEC Open Wednesday
28 Oct Pam Golding/Village Square SuperSpar Alliance
5 Nov Eastern Province SENIORS
6 Nov Selective Lighting / The Fireworks – 15h00 shotgun
11 Nov ITEC Open Wednesday
16 Nov Men’s Muirfield Day (3rd Annual)
22 Nov “The Trophy” – St Francis Links sponsored Amateur Champs
25 Nov Pam Golding/Village Square SuperSpar Alliance
25 Nov Members’ Oscars
5 Dec Ladies’ Member-Member
9 Dec ITEC Open Wednesday
12 Dec Ultimate Par-3 Championships
16 Dec The Kromme-Enviro Trust Amazing Race
5-6 Jan Men’s Member-Member Partnership
8-9 Jan The Pam Golding Annual